Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Uncle Roddie's Buddy

Our youngest son has an unusually strong bond with our Pastor from Bedford. Our kids call them Uncle Rodney and Aunt Angie, to say that they are important to our family is an understatement. We received word Sunday night that Rodney's father had passed away.

We were sitting at the dinner table Monday evening, and were discussing who in the family likes hot sauce. To which I told the kids Uncle Erik (KC's little brother) likes hot sauce on everything. Kaleb announced without hesitation that "Uncle Roddie is my favorite...I miss Uncle Roddie." I made the announcement that we needed to pray for Uncle Rodney this week because his daddy had passed away. Kaleb immediately started crying and climbed up in my lap.

Later that evening, I was talking to Aunt Angie on the phone and Kaleb wanted to talk to her. So he did, then she passed the phone to Uncle Roddie...here's how the conversation went:

Uncle Roddie: Hey buddy how are you?
Kaleb: I am fine. I am sorry your daddy passed away...(with tears in his eyes)
Uncle Roddie: Thanks buddy, you take care and be good.

Needless to say...I was in tears. I was floored by the compassion Kaleb at 5 yrs old felt for his Uncle Roddie.

No comments:

Post a Comment